Wednesday, March 31, 2010

There's no looking back...

It has certainly been awhile since my last blog entry.

My first approach was to try to catch up with everything I missed out on.

Well, today is a new day and I've discovered that it was stifling me to think that I had all that to do before I could move forward. So today I say,
There's no looking back.
They were great memories and I just didn't leave myself enough reflection time in between.
Here's my other thought for the day. The Blog is called Topel Family and it really ends up being a lot about me, my thoughts, feelings, etc. I have gotten caught up in trying to always have something profound to say or blog about, but going forward, there will be a change. I will do my best to reflect on family issues, events, etc., but I can't promise a literary piece of writing to go along with it.
While visiting my Grandma Schroedl and Aunt Rose last week, I discovered a book of letters that were compiled by my Aunt and her Cousin. It was letters that were written between my Great Uncle Henry who died in World War II and his family and friends.

It opened my eyes to so much.
We really have lost the art of writing and communicating with one another in a way that would be preserved for future generations. The poems he wrote and the way that I got to know him through reading the words he composed...I just don't know that we have that anymore.
Is storing all of this electronically really the best thing for history in the future?

I asked my Grandma when she had time to write so much (her home was filled with boxes of poems, journaling, letters, etc. from over the years). She told me at night. This woman raised 5 children, 2 of them twins, worked on the family farm, worked outside of the home when necessary, no microwave, no washing machine when the children were young, no boxed meals, she walked most places she could. I really could go on and on.
Yet she made the time to reflect.

Let it be a lesson to me. She, my mentor.
______________________________________________

This Topel family is in it's last quarter of school already. We are preparing to celebrate Jesus' resurrection on Sunday as we reflect on those humbling days that lead to Calvary's cross.

Dan and I will be heading to Baltimore next week for training at ATI (Automotive Training Institute).
Mallory just finished YMCA volleyball with me as her coach, is loving school, and still working on her dance in Fort. Her recital will be May 23rd in Whitewater. Already at 10, she is blossoming into a beautiful young lady that although sometimes she forgets she is talking to her parents and not a friend, has a solid foundation and a gentle heart. She has so much she wants to get done, yet looks forward to her "just chill" time as well. This past weekend, we got out the scrapbooking supplies and she's been going to town. At school, she just completed her Social Studies Family History project. Very educational and gave us all a chance to take a step back into time.

Christian is attending school daily with just a few adjustments to his day that accommodate the Sensory Processing Disorder. He has adjusted amazingly well to his school setting and his friends there. He looks forward to going to his OT appointments with Mindy usually every other week. He has been hanging out with a neighborhood friend, Jake when he can. We've been riding bike downtown and around every chance we get. Of course, he still loves playing his video games on his ds in his down time. He just completed Diary of a Wimpy Kid , actually, two of the four books currently out. We look forward to a rainy day off to go see the movie.

Our house has seen it's cleaner days and the Jeep looks like we're living out of it, but we've become accustomed to the fact that when life happens, neatness doesn't always follow. It's not unhealthy, just a little scattered out right now. Then we'll have days like this weekend, when we can slow down the pace, pick up the pieces and prepare for our next adventures!

No comments: